Before EMS2018 you will have the unique opportunity of participating in NAEMT’s Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (TECC) course. The TECC course teaches prehospital providers how to respond to, and care for, patients in a civilian tactical environment to decrease preventable deaths. The two-day, 16-hour course presents the three phases of tactical care:
- Direct Threat Care that is rendered while under attack or in adverse conditions.
- Indirect Threat Care that is rendered while the threat has been suppressed, but may resurface at any point.
- Evacuation Care that is rendered while the casualty is being evacuated from the incident site.
The following topics will be covered during the course:
- Hemorrhage control
- Surgical airway control and needle decompression
- Creating a casualty collection point (CCP)
- Strategies for treating wounded responders in threatening environments
- Management of shock
- Prevention and treatment of eye injuries
- Caring for pediatric patients
- Techniques for dragging and carrying victims to safety.