We are pleased to announce this Call for Abstract for the Fifth European Emergency Medical Services Congress, EMS2020, taking place in Glasgow, Scotland 25-27 May 2020.
With an expected number of attendees close to 1,500 EMS2020 will be a large and important educational and scientific event in the international EMS community. The target audience of the congress is researchers and pre-hospital and emergency health care professionals such as medical directors, physicians, paramedics, dispatchers, nurses and management.
Information about Abstract Submission
- Abstracts can be submitted through our electronic abstract submission system from 20 September 2019 to 15 January 2020.
- Authors will be notified of the outcome of the review process by 10 February 2020
- The presenting author has to be fully registered for EMS2020 no later than 20 February 2020 to get the Early Bird discount
Accepted abstracts will be presented as posters and selected papers will also be published in an online international peer reviewed journal, BMJ Open.
The 5 best abstracts will be selected to the EMS2020 Best Abstract Competition. At the Best Abstract Session, presenting authors will be given 10 minutes to present their abstract followed by 5 minutes questions from the audience. The winner will receive the EMS2020 Best Abstract Award and a money prize of 1,000 EUR. Please note that presenting authors who are part of the Best Abstract Competition are expected to be present at the Closing Ceremony.
Another 5 abstracts will be selected for oral presentation at the Most Innovative Abstracts session. Speakers will be given 10 minutes to present their abstract followed by 5 minutes questions from the audience.
- All abstracts must be submitted in English
- Your abstract must not exceed 260 words (incl. title and excl. references and affiliations)
- The main text of the abstract must follow the structure: title, background, method, results and conclusion
- The abstract shall include name of authors in the following form: Initial(s) and Surname
- The abstract shall include affiliation, including country of each author. Author affiliations are indicated by superscript numbers e.g. F. Moran1, J. Bradley2. 1University of Ulster, N. Ireland; 2Belfast City Hospital, N. Ireland
- You can include up to 3 references No table, figure or image can be included in the abstract
- The presenting author must register to the congress to be included in the final program
- The abstract must not be based on already published studies
- Authors are asked to submit abstracts under one of the following submission groups:
1) Cardiac arrest
2) Dispatch and triage
3) Interventions and diagnostics
4) Pain and trauma
5) Staffing and specific diseases
6) Quality improvement and organisation
We recommend that you prepare the content of your abstract in another editor (Word, TextEdit, etc.). You can use all classic fonts because the text will automatically be formatted when submitted.
Submitted abstracts will be assessed by peer review by the EMS2020 Abstract Committee. The Committee will review all abstracts according to the following criteria:
- Relevance to EMS2020
- Quality of the work
- Quality of the abstract
- Innovative idea
In their assessment, the Abstract Committee will focus on the following 5 aspects:
- Topic (relevance, originality)
- Aim (accurately defined)
- Methods (adequate statistics, clear description, ethical issues)
- Results (well supported, relevance)
- Conclusion (based on findings and aims)
Only abstracts which follow the submission guidelines and are received before deadline will be taken into consideration by the Abstract Committee.